Aromatherapy uses essential oils which are extracted from plants, flowers, fruits herbs and trees. These essential oils are very powerful and they need to be used with extreme caution. Here are a few home-care tips that you may find useful but we strongly advise that you consult a fully qualified and registered Aromatherapist who will be able to advise you on the safe methods of use.
Amounts to use
- Bath: 4-6 drops, preferably in a carrier lotion or detergent base
- Massage: 4-6 drops in 10-15mls of carrier oil
- Vaporiser: 4-6 drops following manufacturer instructions implicitly
Babies up to the age of 2 years:
- Bath: 1-2 drops, preferably diluted first in a small amount of white lotion or detergent base
- Massage: 2 drops in 10mls carrier oil or lotion
Children aged 2 to 12 years:
- Bath: 2-3 drops of essential oil preferably diluted in white lotion or detergent base
- Massage: 2-4 drops in 10ml carrier oil or lotion
All essential oils are best avoided during the first months of pregnancy. After the third or fourth months, there are many oils and products that can be used in aromatherapy treatments that can be effective. If in doubt, consult a qualified therapist.
Allow the water to run into the bath before adding your chosen essential oils. Use 6-8 drops of essential oils to 1tsps full fat milk or carrier oil and swish the water to disperse for 2 minutes, and inhale the aroma of the oils whilst they are absorbed into the skin.
Shampoos and Bath Foams
Create your own blend of Aromatherapy shampoos and bath foams. Use 100mls of Shampoo Base or Bath Foam Base add 30 drops of your chosen blend of essential oils.
Neat essential oils may be inhaled directly from a tissue or on a pillow at night use 4-6 drops. They can be used as an inhalation from hot water, using 3 or 4 drops, though this must be avoided by asthmatics. Do not inhale directly from the bottle.
Only the finest quality carrier oils that are produced from the first pressing are used at our school. These can be massaged directly on the skin and they can also have essential oils added to them. To 50mls of carrier oil add no more than 15 drops of essential oils.
We have a full range of vegetable based creams to which essential oils can be added for several effects. These can be developed into facial products or topical creams. Do not add more than 15 drops of essential oil to 50mls of cream.
These beautiful natural hydrolats obtained directly from the essential oil distillation can be used safely for children and the elderly. They are versatile, effective and make ideal facial products. There are no contra-indications to true waters of distillation.
- Keep essential oils out of the reach of children
- Never remove a fixed dropper from a bottle of essential oil (to prevent spillage and accidental ingestion)
- Do not apply neat essential oil to the skin without consulting a qualified therapist. Some essential oils are PHOTOTOXIC and should never be used neat.
- Do not assume that an essential oil has the same properties as the plant from which it is extracted.
- Do not ingest essential oils without specific, professional advice
- Do not use more than the recommended doses as stated above remember less is sometimes more!
In Case of Accident
- If essential oil is splashed into the eyes, dab gently with olive oil or another good quality carrier oil on cotton wool. WATER DOES NOT REMOVE OIL FROM THE EYE
- Remove neat essential oil from the hands by washing thoroughly with mild detergent to prevent transference to other parts of the body.
- If essential oil is ingested in large quantities, you must seek immediate medical assistance.
- If a person shows signs of illness after consuming a few drops of oil, this may be an idiosyncratic, allergic reaction seek immediate medical assistance